Dr. Ramaswamy Govindan is the Director of Medical Oncology and Thoracic Oncology at the Washington University School of Medicine. He is nationally and internationally recognized for his expertise in the management of thoracic malignancies. In his role at the Siteman Cancer Center, he cares for patients diagnosed with lung cancer, malignant pleural mesothelioma, and esophageal cancer through treatment and recovery, often translating his research findings into the clinic. Dr. Govindan is board-certified in Internal Medicine, Hematology, and Medical Oncology.
Education and Career
Dr. Govindan received his medical degree at the University of Madras in Madras, India, and then went on to train as a resident in Internal Medicine at the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research in Pondicherry, India. From there he pursued an additional internship and residency in Internal Medicine at the Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago and a fellowship in Hematology and Oncology at Washington University in St. Louis.
He has been with Washington University Medical School and the Siteman Cancer Center since 1998 and has served as a member and chairman of the Education Subcommittee of Barnes-Jewish Hospital’s Cancer Committee; member of the Protocol Review and Monitoring Committee; member of the Human Research Protection Organization; member of the Barnes-Jewish Hospital Expansion Committee; and member of the Washington University School of Medicine Committee on Admissions. He has also served as a member of the IRB/HRPO Advisory Committee, the Department of Surgery Ad Hoc Committee, the Developmental Therapeutics Core Committee, and the Siteman Cancer Center’s External Advisory Committee.
He is currently the Anheuser Busch Endowed Chair in Medical Oncology as well as a Professor of Medicine and the Director of Medical and Thoracic Oncology.
Dr. Govindan is interested in studying genomic alterations in lung cancer. He has led several national and international clinical trials in lung cancer and is the Principal Investigator for the NCI-sponsored ALCHEMIST trial studying the impact of targeted therapy in early-stage lung cancer. He is also the co-chair of the lung cancer working group for the Cancer Genome Atlas project funded by the National Cancer Institute and the principal investigator of the NCI-sponsored Paul Calabresi K12 Oncology Training Program and the R25 STRENGTH program at WUSM, both funded by the NCI.
International and National Committee Memberships
- PierianDx Knowledgebase Expert Panel
- The Cancer Genome Atlas Lung Adenocarcinoma Subgroup (TCGA LUAD) NIH/NCI
- AACR Lung Cancer Research Fellowships Scientific Review Committee
- ALCHEMIST Core Committee
- K12 External Advisory Committee
- PDX Steering Committee
- Co-Chair, SITC Lung Subcommittee
- SITC Cancer Immunotherapy Guidelines (CIG) Committee
- SITC/Medscape CME Project Steering Committee
- ALCHEMIST Champions Team
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) National Cancer Institute (NCI) Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Panel
- Chair, IASLC CME Subcommittee
- Co-Chair, Lung Cancer Disease Working Group, The Cancer Genome Atlas Project
- Subcommittee H, NCI
- IASLC Pathology Committee
- Cancer Center Review Panel, NCI
- American College of Surgical Oncology (ACOSOG)
- Education Committee, ASCO
- NCCN Guidelines Committee, Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Clinical Oncology Advisory Board (COAB)
- Respiratory Core Committee, Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB)
- Lung Committee, Hoosier Oncology Group (HOG)
- Lung Steering Committee, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG)