Talcum Baby Powder Lawyer
If you or someone you care about has been diagnosed with cancer that may be related to use of talcum baby powder products, you have legal rights and options. Talcum powder may contribute to ovarian cancer in women who used the products regularly for years and that there may be asbestos contamination in the powders that has contributed to mesothelioma in some users. A talcum baby powder lawyer can help you figure out if you have a case.
How a Talcum Baby Powder Lawyer Can Help You
If you believe that your cancer diagnosis is related to use of talcum baby powder, regardless of the brand, you could have a case. To proceed with a lawsuit you need a good lawyer for several reasons:
- A lawyer or legal team understands the laws that govern products liability cases and can help you sort through and make sense of them.
- They also have access to the experts and witnesses you need to make a case and prove that your medical condition is related to baby powder use.
- A lawyer can help you get justice for the harm caused you and even prevent harm to people in the future.
- You’ll have a good chance of recovering damages to help with medical and other expenses with the right lawyer on your side.
How Can Baby Powder Cause Cancer?
Baby powder is a product made using talc, a natural mineral that is mined and processed to make a number of hygiene and beauty products. There is evidence that talc can contain traces of asbestos, also a natural mineral.
Any talcum powder that contains fibers of asbestos could be dangerous because it is easy to accidentally inhale or ingest the powder. The asbestos fibers lodge in tissues in the lungs and cause damage that can lead to mesothelioma, an aggressive type of cancer that is difficult to treat.
Regulations put in place in the 1970s are supposed to ensure that talcum powder products contain no asbestos, but studies have found that even recent samples may be contaminated.
Another cancer connection with baby powder is ovarian cancer. Many women use it on the genitals and studies have shown that these women who use talcum powder are at a greater risk of having ovarian cancer. Some studies have even found particles of talc inside ovaries and ovarian tumors.
Have Victims Won Talcum Powder Lawsuits?
Victims of mesothelioma or ovarian cancer, who used baby powder products regularly and for years, or even decades, have filed and won lawsuits against the responsible companies:
- One recent verdict came down in favor of the plaintiff, Stephen Lanzo, in New Jersey. Lanzo used Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder for decades and developed mesothelioma. His lawyer found evidence in the form of internal memos from the company from the 1960s. These proved that the company knew that asbestos could be a problem and failed to warn consumers. The jury awarded Lanzo $117 million.
- Another recent case that just finished in California also went in favor of the victim who got a diagnosis of mesothelioma after years of asbestos use. The jury awarded Joanne Anderson $21.7 million. Johnson & Johnson was found to be responsible for 67 percent of the award. Talc suppliers were the other defendants.
- In addition to these individual cases there are also class action lawsuits beginning against Johnson & Johnson over cases of ovarian cancer. A group of 22 women are just beginning their lawsuit in Missouri, while another group has just been given the go-ahead to start a class action suit in Quebec in Canada.
How to Find a Talcum Baby Powder Lawyer
If you do choose to work with a lawyer to decide if and how to proceed with a case, it is essential that you select a professional with expertise in this field. Contact your state’s bar association to find lawyers that are in good standing and that also have the special experience you need. There are very specific laws and rules that need to be followed in cases like these, so don’t settle for a general practice lawyer.
As you narrow down your options, be sure to ask specific questions about experience, the kinds of cases they have taken on before, how their settlements and trials have turned out, and even for references from past clients.
You will have the greatest chance of success when you choose the best lawyer for your case and to guide you through this difficult legal process. Make sure you select someone, not just with the right experience, but who seems to have your best interests in mind and also whom you feel comfortable with. You have to trust this lawyer and work with him or her for years to come.
Page Edited by Dave Foster
- Jury Returns Historic $117 Million Verdict in Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder Asbestos Mesothelioma Case. (2018, April 11). Cision PR Newswire.
Retrieved from: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/jury-returns-historic-117-million-verdict-in-johnson--johnson-baby-powder-asbestos-mesothelioma-case-300628591.html
- Bellon, T. (2018, May 23). J&J Hit with $21.7 Million Verdict in Another Talc Asbestos Cancer Case.
Retrieved from: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-johnson-johnson-cancer-lawsuit/jj-hit-with-217-million-verdict-in-another-talc-asbestos-cancer-case-idUSKCN1IO3HD
- Gordon, R.E., Fitzgerald, S. & Millette, J. (2014). Asbestos in Commercial Cosmetic Talcum Powder as a Cause of Mesothelioma in Women. Int. J. Occup. Environ. Health, 20(4), 318-32.
Retrieved from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4164883/
- Terry, K.L., Karageorgi, S., Svetsov, Y.B., Merritt, M.A., Lurie, G., Thompson, P., Carney, M.E., Weber, R.P., Akushevich, L., Lo-Ciganic, W., Cushing-Haugen, K.L., Sieh, W., Moysich, K.B., Doherty, J.A., Nagle, C.M., Berchuck, A., Pearce, C.L., Pike, M., Ness, R.N., Webb, P., Rossing, M.A., Schildkraut, J., Risch, H.A. & Goodman, M.T. (2013). Genital Powder Use and Risk of Ovarian Cancer: A Pooled Analysis of 8,525 Cases and 9,859 Controls. Cancer Prevention Research, 6(8), 811-21.
Retrieved from: http://cancerpreventionresearch.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2013/06/12/1940-6207.CAPR-13-0037
Get Help from the Top Mesothelioma Law Firms
- Free Consultation
- Brochures from Top Law Firms
FREE Case Value Calculator
Where can I
Get Additional Help?
For over 20 years we’ve provided the best FREE resources to mesothelioma patients and loved ones. Our resources include information on the leading treatment options and best doctors in your area; lessons learned from survivors; claims and benefits specifically for Veterans; and how to access your share of billions of dollars in trust fund money.
Get Your FREE Resources Sent Overnight
- New Treatment Options
- Veteran's Benefits & Claims
- $30 Billion Asbestos Trust Fund Information