Dr. Frank Baciewicz, Jr. is a thoracic and cardiothoracic surgeon at the Karmanos Cancer Institute and part of the Multidisciplinary Team of the Thoracic Oncology Program. He treats patients diagnosed with lung cancer and esophageal cancer, and his special clinical interests include minimally invasive robotic lung surgery, thoracoabdominal aneurysm surgery, ascending aorta, mediastinal tumors, descending thoracic aorta, and coronary artery bypass.
In addition to his surgical role, Dr. Baciewicz also teaches advanced surgery courses to medical students, advising and mentoring multiple students on Cardiothoracic Surgery, assisting students with CT manuscripts, taking residents on daily surgery and ICU didactic rounds, and teaching in the operating room.
Education and Career
Dr. Baciewicz completed his bachelor of arts degree at Williams College in Massachusetts and earned his medical degree at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He completed a Surgical internship and residency at Northwestern University in Chicago and then trained in Pediatric Cardiac Transplantation at Loma Linda University in Canada. He went on to study Heart Transplantation and Heart-Lung Transplantation at the University of Pittsburgh and completed a fellowship in Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.
With his education complete, Dr. Baciewicz worked as an Assistant and then Associate Professor of Surgery at the Medical College of Ohio, Associate Professor of Surgery at Wayne State University, and now serves as Professor of Surgery at Wayne State University. Dr. Baciewicz is board-certified in Surgery and Thoracic Surgery.
Dr. Baciewicz is a member of:
- American Association of Thoracic Surgeons
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American College of Surgeons
- Michigan Association of Thoracic Surgeons
- National Cardiopulmonary Support Registry for Emergent Applications, Board of Directors
- Southwest Oncology Group, Lung Committee
Dr. Baciewicz is a prolific author, with publications in many notable medical journals. Some of his recent articles include:
- Successful Use of Fondaparinux for Post-operative Bridging Early After Aortic and Mitral Mechanical Heart Valve Replacement. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. In PressAuthors: Dotson B, Perissinotti H, Baciewicz FA, Tennenberg S.
- Single vs. Double Chest Tube Drainage After Thoracotomy for Lobectomy. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. In Press.Authors: Gayer C, Baciewicz FA.
- Sterno Clavicular Osteomyelitis: A New Complication of Misplaced Tracheostomy Tube. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 92:2242-44. 2011.Authors: Hashmi A, Zerfas D, Baciewicz FA.
- Potentially Curable Lung Cancer Patients Not Offered Operation. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 91:1073-76. 2011.Authors: Edelman D, Baciewicz FA.
- Benign Fibroepithelial Polyp Arising in the Bronchus: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Archives of Surgery. 144:11, 1081-83. 2009.Authors: Amin P, Baciewicz FA.