This page has been fact checked by an experienced mesothelioma Patient Advocate. Sources of information are listed at the bottom of the article.
We make every attempt to keep our information accurate and up-to-date.
Please Contact Us with any questions or comments.
Dr. John D. Mitchell is the Chief of General Thoracic Surgery within the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of Colorado and the CU Cancer Center. He has extensive experience in treating cancers of the lungs, including malignant pleural mesothelioma, and focuses his research on lung cancer, surgical treatment of lung infection, and lung transplantation. His practice specialties include all areas of thoracic oncology and surgery of the airway, with a special interest in minimally invasive approaches to thoracic surgical procedures.
Education and Career
Dr. Mitchell began his educational career by earning his undergraduate degree at the University of Colorado at Boulder. He attended medical school at the University of Michigan Medical School, and after earning his medical degree he completed his internship and residency at the Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School Program. He served as Chief Resident in Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery at Harvard and at Children’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School Program, specializing in Congenital Cardiac Surgery.
Board-certified in Surgery and Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery, Dr. Mitchell served in the U.S. Naval Reserves as a Lieutenant Commander, Medical Corps, and as a Cardiothoracic Surgeon at the Naval Medical Center in San Diego. He served as a Staff Surgeon for the United States Marine Corps, a Commander of the Medical Corps of the U.S. Naval Reserves, and as Cardiothoracic Surgeon on board the U.S. Naval Ship Mercy.
At University of Colorado Health, he holds several distinguished titles, including Associate Professor of Surgery, Chief of General Thoracic Surgery, the Courtenay C. and Lucy Patten Davis Endowed Chair in Thoracic Surgery in the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, and Co-Director of the Minimally Invasive Surgery Center. He is also a consultant to National Jewish Health in Denver and provides surgical care at the VA Hospital in Denver.
Memberships and Honors
• American Association for Thoracic Surgery, Member
• American College of Chest Physicians, Fellow
• American College of Surgeons (ACS), Fellow
• American College of Surgeons Oncology Group, Member
• American Society of Clinical Oncology, Member
• Bay Area Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Member
• Colorado Thoracic Society, Member
• Denver Academy of Surgery, Member
• General Thoracic Surgical Club, Member
• International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, Member
• International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, Member
• Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Member
• Southwest Oncology Group, Member
• Western Thoracic Surgical Association, Member
– Alley-Sheridan Scholar, Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
– Recognized by 5280: Denver’s Mile High Magazine as one of Denver’s Top Doctors
– 2007 The Courtenay C. and Lucy Patten Davis Endowed Chair in Surgical Thoracic Oncology
– 2008 Donald B. Doty Educational Award, Western Thoracic Surgical Association
– Selected for America’s Top Doctors (Castle Connolly)
– University of Colorado Hospital Pioneer Award, presented by the Medical Staff of the University of Colorado Hospital in recognition of outstanding leadership, vision, and commitment to the University of Colorado Hospital and its patients.
– Selected for Best Doctors in America database
Dr. Mitchell provides ongoing research support to studies being conducted by several notable organizations, including the National Institute of Health; OSI Pharmaceuticals; the Southwest Oncology Group; and the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group.
Dr. Mitchell serves as an invited reviewer for several notable editorial boards, including the Annals of Thoracic Surgery; the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery; the European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery, and the Journal of the American College of Surgeons.Get Your FREE Mesothelioma Packet
Written by Terri Oppenheimer
Terri Oppenheimer has been writing about mesothelioma and asbestos topics for over ten years. She has a degree in English from the College of William and Mary. Terri’s experience as the head writer of our Mesothelioma.net news blog gives her a wealth of knowledge which she brings to all Mesothelioma.net articles she authors.
Page Edited by Patient Advocate Dave Foster
Dave has been a mesothelioma Patient Advocate for over 10 years. He consistently attends all major national and international mesothelioma meetings. In doing so, he is able to stay on top of the latest treatments, clinical trials, and research results. He also personally meets with mesothelioma patients and their families and connects them with the best medical specialists and legal representatives available.