Dr. Rishindra Mamidi Reddy is an accomplished thoracic surgeon at the University of Michigan and its Rogel Cancer Center in Ann Arbor. In his role as Department of Surgery Chair of the UM Comprehensive Robotic Surgery Program and Director of the University of Michigan Center for Surgical Innovation, he provides state-of-the-art care for patients diagnosed with lung cancer, esophageal cancer, and malignant mesothelioma.
Dr. Reddy specializes in minimally invasive thoracic surgery with a focus on robotic surgery, thoracic surgical oncology, cardiopulmonary transplantation, and adult general thoracic surgery. He is also the Associate Director for the Michigan Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Society General Thoracic Quality Collaborative.
Education and Career
Dr. Reddy earned both his undergraduate degree at Northwestern University and his medical degree at Northwestern’s Feinberg School of Medicine. He completed a General Surgery residency at Washington University-Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, during which time he was also a Clinical Research Fellow at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland. He completed a Thoracic Surgery residency at the University of Washington and was a visiting fellow in Thoracic Surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York.
Dr. Reddy also earned his Masters in Business Administration (MBA) degree with distinction and furthered his interest in teaching excellence by pursuing the Interprofessional Applied Practical Teaching and Learning in the Health Profession survey course, a Healthcare Education program offered by the University of Toronto’s Department of Family Medicine that fosters excellence in clinical teaching.
Dr. Reddy is a member of several professional organizations, including:
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- Association for Academic Surgery
- General Thoracic Surgical Club: Candidate Member
- Harken Society, University of Washington Alumni
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
- John Alexander Society
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Dr. Reddy is an active researcher and prolific writer. He is currently pursuing a project evaluating novel molecular pathways in lung cancer and developing primary tumor xenografts of lung and esophageal cancer with the goal of creating a model that will bring new therapeutics to the clinic and improve outcomes for patient following surgery.
Among his many presentations, journal articles, and publications are:
- The Cost and Quality of Life Outcomes in Developing a Robotic Lobectomy Program
Chrystina James, Priya Dedhia, Andrew C Chang, Jules Lin, Rishindra M Reddy, Stephanie G Worrell, Journal of Robotic Surgery
- Internet Usage Trends in Thoracic Surgery Patients and Their Caregivers
Alisha D Lussiez, Gustavo Rubio, Jules Lin, Andrew C Chang, Jacob A Mack, Stephanie Burdick, Rishindra M Reddy, Journal of cancer education
- Commentary: Neoadjuvant Immunotherapy followed by Lung Cancer Resection: Is the Future Already Here?
Rishindra M Reddy> ;The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2023 Oct 18
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons Looking to the Future Scholarship Program: A 15-Year Review.
Dianela Perdomo, Rachel Pebworth, Jennifer S Lawton, Ahmet Kilic, Rishindra M Reddy, Elizabeth A David, David D Odell, Stephen C Yang> ;The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2023 Sep 21
- Epidemiology of Postoperative Complications After Esophagectomy: Implications for Management. Stanley Kalata, Bilawal Singh, Nathan Graham, Zhaohui Fan, Andrew C Chang, William R Lynch, Kiran H Lagisetty, Jules Lin, Jonathan Yeung, Rishindra M Reddy, Elliot Wakeam> ;The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2023 Sep 12