Dr. Tarik Hadid is a medical oncologist and hematologist who specializes in head and neck cancers and thoracic cancers. As a member of the Karmanos Cancer Institute’s Thoracic Oncology Program’s Multidisciplinary Team, he collaborates with other specialists to treat esophageal cancer, malignant pleural mesothelioma, lung cancer, and thymoma and thymic malignancies. This approach brings comprehensive expertise to patient care, allowing the team to create customized treatment plans that match patients’ unique medical conditions as well as their personal goals and priorities.
Dr. Hadid takes pride in the world-class cancer care that patients at Karmonos receive, and in the fact that the facility’s 16 locations throughout the region allow patients “to focus on their healing instead of worrying about traveling long distances for the best cancer care.”
Education and Career
Dr. Hadid’s medical education began at the University of Khartoum Faculty of Medicine, where he earned his medical degree. He completed his internship and residency in Internal Medicine at the Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine and then a fellowship in Hospice and Palliative Medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center Sant Antonio Joe and Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine. He then completed a fellowship in Hematology and Medical Oncology at the Allegheny Health Network Medical Education Consortium and earned a Master of Science degree in Clinical Research Design and Statistical Analysis at the University of Michigan. He also earned a Master of Public Health degree at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.
Following a fellowship in Hematology and Oncology at Ascension Macomb Oakland Hospital, he moved on to his current clinical role at the Karmanos Cancer Institute. He is also an Associate Professor at Wayne State University School of Medicine as part of the Medical Oncology faculty. Dr. Hadid is board-certified in Medical Oncology, Hematology, Palliative Medicine, and Internal Medicine.
Dr. Hadid is a member of:
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American College of Physicians
- Michigan Society of Hematology and Oncology
Dr. Hadid is actively involved in several clinical studies and has delivered many presentations at regional and national scientific meetings, where he has also received numerous awards. He is a prolific publisher of articles and abstracts. His publications include:
- Abdalla A*, Singh A*, Gharib H, Huber B*., Malapati S* J., Hadid T, & Kafri, Z. (2021). The incidence of occult endocrinopathies in patients with cancer undergoing immunotherapy in community practice. ASCO (2021): e14571-e14571.
- Malapati, S,* Singh, S*, Kumar, R*, Hadid, T*. Neoadjuvant treatment with chemotherapy or chemoradiation in stage III nonsmall cell lung cancer: Analysis of the National Cancer Database. ASCO (2020): 7046
- Malapati, S*, Singh, S*, Kumar, R*, Abdalla, A*, Hadid, T. Perioperative chemotherapy versus adjuvant chemoradiation in resectable gastric cancer: A national cancer database analysis. ASCO (2020): Abstract 7066