This page has been fact checked by an experienced mesothelioma Patient Advocate. Sources of information are listed at the bottom of the article.
We make every attempt to keep our information accurate and up-to-date.
Please Contact Us with any questions or comments.
Georgia is home to a few cancer centers with reputations for excellence in patient care and innovative research. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and live in Georgia, contact one of these facilities for the most expert care.
Georgia Cancer Centers
Georgia has more than one cancer center, but only the Winship Cancer Institute at Emory University has been designated a comprehensive cancer center by the National Cancer Institute. Facilities with this recognition excel in treatment and patient care and host clinical trials and conduct research to advance the understanding of cancer and its management.
Winship Cancer Institute received its NCI designation in 2017 and offers patient care at several locations in Georgia. This is just one of many reasons mesothelioma patients can trust the care here:
- Winship has the largest Phase I Clinical Trials Unit in Georgia.
- The Center for Cancer Immunology at Winship contributes to the growing and exciting field of immunotherapies for treating difficult cancers like mesothelioma.
- Precision medicine is another area of specialty at Winship, which means patients get more targeted, individualized treatments.
- The Emory Proton Therapy Center offers patients the unique opportunity to benefit from this advanced treatment technology/
- Winship is also home to a Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant Center.
- The Lung Cancer Care Clinic can help patients with asbestos-related lung cancer.
- The Cardio-Oncology Clinic helps prevent, minimize, or manage cardiac disease resulting from cancer treatments, a major concern for thoracic cancers like pleural mesothelioma.
Augusta University’s Georgia Cancer Center is not officially recognized by the NCI, but it is a center of excellence in the state. Cancer specialists work here in multidisciplinary teams to meet the needs of patients with all types of cancer, including mesothelioma.
The Georgia Cancer Specialists practice, affiliated with Northside Hospital Cancer Institute, is another great option for cancer treatment in the state. They work in teams of experts to provide patients with well-rounded care and conduct research and clinical trials. There are multiple locations throughout the state.
Physicians Treating Mesothelioma in Georgia
The cancer centers in Georgia are staffed by a range of physicians and support staff, with specialties in radiology, oncology, surgery, and other types of patient care. For mesothelioma patients, a few specialists can provide expert care.
Seth D. Force, M.D.
Dr. Force is a thoracic surgeon and the Surgical Director of the Thoracic Oncology Program at Winship Cancer Institute. He leads a team of experts who can treat pleural mesothelioma surgically and as part of a multidisciplinary team. He specializes in minimally invasive thoracic surgeries and using robotics systems during procedures.
Charles A. Staley, M.D.
Also at Winship, Dr. Staley is the Chief Quality Officer. He is also the Chief of the Division of Surgical Oncology. A gastrointestinal surgeon, Dr. Staley can treat patients with peritoneal mesothelioma. He is one of few surgeons qualified to perform cytoreductive surgery with HIPEC, the treatment of choice for most patients with this mesothelioma type.
Jennifer W. Carlisle, M.D.
Dr. Carlisle is a medical oncologist specializing in thoracic cancers at Winship. This includes both lung cancer and pleural mesothelioma. She is also active in the center’s Phase I Clinical Trials Unit, helping to develop novel therapeutics.
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials in Georgia
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, talk to your medical team about the possibility of participating in a clinical trial. These studies give patients like you access to treatments not available to most people. Mesothelioma is rare, so there are fewer trials.
Georgia is currently home to five clinical trials recruiting patients with mesothelioma. Your medical team can help you determine if you qualify for or could benefit from any of these:
- Cabozantinib With Pemetrexed in Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer, Urothelial Cancer and Malignant Mesothelioma. This trial is being hosted by Augusta University and needs mesothelioma patients. Researchers are testing a combination of a chemotherapy drug with a new targeted drug.
- Bosutinib in Combination With Pemetrexed in Patients With Selected Metastatic Solid Tumors. This is another study of a novel targeted drug. Researchers at Augusta are recruiting mesothelioma patients to test the dosing and effectiveness of it used in combination with a chemotherapy drug, pemetrexed.
- Phase 1 Study of INBRX-109 in Subjects With Locally Advanced or Metastatic Solid Tumors Including Sarcomas. For this trial, researchers need mesothelioma patients to determine the effectiveness of an immunotherapy drug on advanced cancers.
- Nivolumab and Ipilimumab in Treating Patients With Rare Tumors. Mesothelioma is a rare tumor, and this study includes patients with peritoneal mesothelioma. The trial is testing the safety and effectiveness of two immunotherapy drugs.
- A Study of XmAb®20717 in Subjects With Selected Advanced Solid Tumors. This phase I study will determine the effects and the optimal dosage of an immunotherapy drugs for patients with a range of cancer types, including mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma treatment is highly specialized. If you live in the state and have this cancer, or need an expert diagnosis, don’t rely on just any medical facility. Try one of these premier cancer centers and expert medical teams working right here in your home state.
Page Edited by Patient Advocate Dave Foster
Dave has been a mesothelioma Patient Advocate for over 10 years. He consistently attends all major national and international mesothelioma meetings. In doing so, he is able to stay on top of the latest treatments, clinical trials, and research results. He also personally meets with mesothelioma patients and their families and connects them with the best medical specialists and legal representatives available.